SPRING FOOD DRIVE
S:US’ Spring Food Drive is one of many actions S:US is taking to combat food insecurity among the people we serve – and we need your help. Food security is defined as universal access to adequate nutritious, affordable, and culturally/personally appropriate food. Recent data collected by S:US shows a significant portion of our S:US community experience some level of food insecurity. Between March 15th and April 20th, S:US is accepting donations of needed food items as identified by our staff and the people we serve as part of our commitment to ensuring an equitable, participatory food system and supporting the people we serve to live their healthiest lives.
What kinds of food items are best for donations?
Below is a list of food and food-related items identified as highest priority or most beneficial for the people we serve:
- Canned vegetables, low sodium
- Canned fish, packed in water (Tuna, Salmon, Mackerel, Sardines)
- Spaghetti sauce, low sodium
- Pasta, whole grain, or white
- Rice, brown or white
- Cold cereal (Bran flakes, Cheerios, other low-sugar, high-fiber options)
- Hot cereal (Oatmeal, Cream of wheat, Grits)
- Canned chicken, low sodium in water
- Peanut Butter or bagged nuts or seed
- Milk, boxed or shelf-stable, low-fat
- Canned fruit, packed in juice or water
- Canned beans, low sodium
- Dried beans
- Dried fruit, no sugar added
- Crackers (whole grain and/or low-sodium options)
- Dried herbs and spices
- Food storage containers/Tupperware
DO: Give generously. Give foods you would serve to your family.
DON’T: Give anything expired, open, or damaged. Give something you wouldn’t eat.
Where do I send or drop off the food donations?
Please send or drop off donations to: 463 Seventh Avenue, 17th Floor, New York, NY 10018, Attention: Minjung Park. Our business hours are generally Monday through Friday, 9 AM–5 PM. Please contact Minjung Park at [email protected] or 646-823-1179 to schedule drop offs.
I’m unable to purchase and/or drop off physical food items. Can I still contribute?
You can make a donation and we will do the shopping. Please note that cash donations allow us to buy wholesale and our dollars can go further. You can also purchase items from our Amazon Wishlist that contains individuals’ wishes.
What is the deadline to contribute?
The last date to drop off food donations is Thursday, April 20th. Donations will be distributed to S:US supportive housing sites by Friday, April 21st.
For further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Minjung Park, Volunteer & Community Relations Manager, at [email protected] or 646-823-1179.